Jesus Satisfies

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Can Jesus REALLY Satisfy?

I'm concerned about the terminology: "Jesus Satisfies." Is it true?

I'm not talking about the answer that one might be expected to give in Sunday School; rather, I'm interested in someone fleshing it out in real life.

The instruction given in Hebrews 13:5 ("Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you.'”) is an interesting perspective, once examined.

Isn't the writer saying that the way to keep one's "life free from love of money, and be content with what you have" is the presence of Jesus?

The presence of Christ - satisfying enough to cause the earthbound creature to gaze upward? Really?

Could it be that the psalmist's refrain in 16:11 is of the same tenor? He writes emoting His God-ward song to Yahweh:
  • "You make known to me the path of life
  • "In your presence there is fullness of joy
  • "At your right hand are pleasures forevermore"

Ah, satisfaction in One who's presence gives direction, joy, and eternal pleasures.

But can one know this satisfaction fully? Are we not too distracted by life? Is not the pull of the world too strong?

Wait. Perhaps it's possible after all.

  • Jesus followed to perfection the "path of life" that His Father had for Him (So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise." Matthew 5:19)
  • Jesus found an other-worldly, "fullness of joy" that sustained and emboldened Him (...looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2) (That "joy set before Him" was none other than the soon coming answer to His prayer in John 17:5, "And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed." - the joy was being in the presence of His Father in full glory and communion)
  • Jesus looked forward to the "eternal pleasures" perfectly ("Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world." John 17:24)

Come to think of it, maybe we can't obtain satisfaction perfectly in this life, not at all a deficiency in the Satisfier; but rather in the subjects in need of satisfaction. However, what if our pursuit of satisfaction in Jesus is enough?

Perhaps when we trip and see the earth instead of the sky, then we'll hear the gentle whisper of the Spirit: "straighten up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near.” (Luke 21:28 b).

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!

4 Comments:

  • James, I'm glad Wade directed me over here. I've read all your post.
    They are all good, but this one stopped me, having been for most of my life a "restless" person. Many times I went to God asking Him to give me contentment. It wasn't so much that I wanted "things" as it was always moving, always workings, always thinking, always something. Then I began to search the scriptures, I believe at the direction of the Holy Spirit, on the rest of the Lord. Hebrews 3 & 4, learning to understand exactly what my sabboth is, WHO he is. Jesus taught me to rest.
    I can truthfully tell you that in this sense, I am no longer that same person and testify to it every opportunity I get. I rest in my Lord Jesus Christ. I know Him that way.
    I will be reading you-thanks.

    By Blogger Alycelee, at 10:04 AM  

  • Alycelee,

    Love your words of insight and transparency. Yes, Jesus is truly our Sabbath Rest. It's been long time getting to this place of rest. Quite frankly I seem to constantly be reminded of my rest in Him.

    By Blogger James Hunt, at 11:24 AM  

  • I've contemplated the idea of the satisfaction that comes from Jesus, and I think it can be a bit misleading. If our purpose, or more importantly, God's purpose for us to strive to live holy lives was so we could be satisfied, I fear we'll be disappointed, but more importantly, it's not what the Bible teaches. I believe satisfaction does come from growing in holiness, and learning to serve the Lord, and slay our flesh, but no where in scripture does it suggest that it should be our motivation. So what is our motivation? a good look at I Peter 1 has the answer. to sum up, it's because we now know and understand the truth. We know sin offends God, and even though we may have to sacrifice some things that bring us satisfaction, we're much more satisfied knowing that we're not offending the One who saves us.

    Peter makes this clear again in John 6:68, after many followers left Christ. He turns to His disciples and says "Will you also leave me?" And what does Peter say? It's not, "No way, Lord. You're the only one that can satisfy the God-shaped whole in my heart!" He says, "To whom shall we go? You have the Words of eternal life, (and here's a key part, as well) Besides, we have believed and come to know that You are the Holy One of God."

    Their motivation was never to be satisfied, when they evangelized, they never promised people personal fulfillment and satisfaction. They taught that a person's conduct should be changed because they learned the truth about Christ, and their behavior should represent that, (thus starts the process of sanctification)

    One more note about Only Jesus Satisfies... truer words have not been spoken, but the satisfaction Christ brought to the world has nothing to do with fulfillment. What Christ did was satisfy the payment for our sins before a Just and Holy God, and calls us to live our lives in light of that great truth, and as children of the living God, we should, as he says, "Be holy, for I am Holy"

    By Blogger Jake, at 9:36 AM  

  • Jake,

    Thanks for your well presented thoughts - especially your obvious desire to be biblical.

    I guess I'd simply say in response the following things:
    1. Nothing else satisfies in life except the Satisfier - all else are cheap replacements for the One true and eternal treasure, namely, Jesus.

    2. Evangelism, in my understanding, is telling out the good news in an effort to persuade them to be reconciled to God (understanding that it's the Spirit that regenerates, provides repentance, faith, and does the drawing) The good news being that God has become flesh and dwelt among us living a sinless life and taking our sins in His own body on the tree absorbed the full wrath of the Father as satisfaction for the payment of the sins of the elect).

    3. I don't agree with a man-centered approach to evangelism or teaching of God's people. It's about God and His glory. At the same time God spoke in "baby language" (if you will) - condescending to make Himself known in terms humans could understand (in the power of the Spirit, of course). Thus, to tell someone that they are more sinful than they first imagined but that God's grace is deeper than they'd first imagined...and, oh, by the way, the things your seeking after for satisfaction won't bring you the desired results, and, in fact they are idols to you and you must repent and believe and follow the only true and lasting treasure, Jesus Christ...is a healthy presentation of the gospel.

    Anyway, thanks again for stopping by.

    By Blogger James Hunt, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home