Jesus Satisfies

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

But for the grace of God go I

This past Sunday about 30 singles from Council Road Baptist Church went to the Wiley Post Park in OKC. Our purpose was to share the love of Jesus with the homeless.

Whereas during the week meals are prepared for the homeless, on Sundays the area kitchens don't serve a meal. A lady has organized volunteer churches to come on rotation and provide a meal to those that gather at the park. Anywhere from 100-300 homeless people show up.

I'm a white, middle-class, suburban kind of guy. This was definately a new experience for me. I'm glad I went.

I had a long conversation with a man, we'll call him Dave. Dave had just become homeless that morning. His roommate that he'd known since he was a kid bailed on him...but didn't inform him that he'd not paid the rent.

Dave is a felon and also doesn't have a driver's license. Though he's "clean" (drug and alcohol free) now, it's still hard for him to land a steady job. He is a skilled handyman, drywaller and fence builder; but, his leg, which had an obvious problem, is growing weaker making it hard for him to work the physically demanding jobs he's been used to.

God gave me the privelege of witnessing to Dave and praying for him. Before we said goodbye, I gave him a "Here's Hope" New Testament. He was grateful.

I wasn't the only one engaging in conversation. It was wonderful to look around the park and see our singles serving food while others sat down and shared the love of Jesus. One of the University students that came with us ministered to a whole family. She gave them New Testaments and prayed for them. They asked her to read specific passages out loud to them and to pray for their children, some of whom were in prison.

I could have looked at the homeless with disdain, as sometimes before I've been guilty; however, I have to think, But for the grace of God go I.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home