Jesus Satisfies

Thursday, July 22, 2010

An Animal Dies

I would feel really bad if because of my wrongdoing a cute little lamb had to have his throat cut instead of mine.

I know, I know...even the reading of the above sentence is repulsive to most folks - including me! However, if we lived in Old Testament times this is the picture we would see time after time after time. An animal being killed so that I can live...God accepting me because of the death of a lamb.

Enter on the stage of humanity: Jesus! He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. When our mind's eye casts a gaze to that bloody, vile scene on Calvary's hill we see a figure of humanity that is grotesque, vile, repulsive! Then we hear in his voice the tender plea to his Father, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

We discover that this horrid scene is on display as a reminder of God's infinite love for his people. Instead of annihilating us because of our sin, the Father destroyed Christ on the cross. Jesus took our guilt, our shame, our punishment, our horror. In this way we know we are loved.

I Peter 1:17-21 uses the great love of God as shown through the sacrifice of the Lamb Jesus as a motivation to live a holy life unto God. Because we are loved by such a great sacrifice we can live holy and joyful lives of obedience.

Come out this Sunday to the Single Focus class at 9:15 a.m. in the Chapel for our discussion of this topic. Bagels and Bible study...can't beat it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home